Education plays a vital part of the Surf Club. We offer a huge range of courses and certificate qualifications.
Please contact our Lifesaving Team Leader, Celia Waugh for inclusion in these courses
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0403 555421
Surf Rescue Certificate
The Surf Rescue Certificate is the very first stage of becoming a lifesaver. Whether you plan to compete in surf sports or simply patrol, there are plenty of opportunities and a variety of challenges within a surf club. Members aged 13-15 will complete this Certificate during the season.
The Bronze Medallion is a nationally recognised qualification and teaches a range of activities in order to be able to perform all the basic requirements of a lifesaver:
- Minimum 15 years of age (on the day of final assessment)
- Financial member of the Surf Life Saving Club
- Completed a 400m flat water swim in less than 9:00 minutes (signed off by an authorised club person)
- Resuscitation Course (10years+): The aim of this course is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge to maintain or restore breathing and circulation in an adult, child or infant. The course content is based on the policies and standards of the Australian Resuscitation Council.
Advanced Resuscitation Techniques Course (ARTC)
The aim of the Advanced Resuscitation Techniques Certificate course is to develop your skills and knowledge to use oxygen, airway management devices, and automated external defibrillators during resuscitation, and to administer oxygen to casualties
Senior First Aid
Senior First Aid training aims to develop the knowledge and skills for a person to manage emergency First Aid situations and deliver competent emergency care until the arrival of professional medical support.
The aim of this course is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge to manage injured casualties with suspected spinal injuries in an aquatic environment and in emergency situations. Courses will be run during patrols
- Prerequisite Be at least 15 years of age on the date of final assessment.
- Proficient in one of the following awards: Apply (Senior) First Aid; Bronze Medallion
Basic Beach Management (Patrol Captain)
The aim of this course is to prepare candidates for initial work as a Patrol Captain, Team Leader, Duty Captain and similar roles. The Basic Beach Management (Silver Medallion) course is usually conducted in individual Surf Life Saving Clubs.
- Prerequisite Minimum 17 years of age.
- Proficient in Bronze Medallion OR have held Bronze Medallion and proficient in a surf award
This is a pre-requisite for the IRB Driver. You can obtain the workbook for this course from the Department of Transport on Stirling Terrace.
The IRB Crew Certificate course allows surf lifesavers to obtain qualifications in crewing an inflatable rescue boat.
- Minimum of 15 years of age on the date of final assessment.
- Hold the SLSA Bronze Medallion
The IRB Driver Award (Silver Medallion) course is run for Members through Surf Life Saving Clubs. The aim of this course is to help candidates develop skills and knowledge to safely and effectively drive an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB).
- Minimum of 16 years of age to commence training
- Minimum of 17 years of age on the date of final assessment
- Hold and be currently proficient in the SLSA awards: Bronze Medallion and IRB Crew Certificate
- Have met the Marine Licensing requirements in Western Australia
- Training Officer Certificate: The SLSWA Training Officer Course provides members the opportunity to obtain knowledge and skills that will assist in providing delivery of group and individual instruction, the demonstration of work skills and how to use existing learning resources in a safe and comfortable learning environment. Successful completion of this course and subsequent logbook, entitles candidates to obtain the award of WA Training Officer in a chosen award.
- Prerequisites Candidates must be at least 16 years of age on the date of final assessment. Note: Before you can train in an award, you must be proficient in the award in which you wish to deliver training and be endorsed as a trainer in that award by your state.
The Surf Life Saving WA Assessors Course provides Surf Life Saving Club members the opportunity to obtain knowledge and skills that will assist in planning and organising assessment processes and assessing the competence of candidates. Successful completion of this course and subsequent logbook, entitles candidates to obtain the award of WA Assessor in a chosen award.
- A current financial member of a Surf Life Saving Club affiliated with Surf Life Saving WA
- A minimum of 18 years of age
- Have held the Training Officer Certificate for at least one season